Monday, July 21, 2008

Dipping my toes in the water or diving in head first?

I have been working on reading through the many articles for my literary review and as I am reading a couple of dissertations I find myself wondering, how do we differentiate between a class project and a dissertation? What I am working on seems almost monumental and at the same level of work as some of the dissertations and papers I am reading. Am I taking too macro a look at this or am I just over judging the work? I would assume a class paper should just be dipping my toes in the water of a topic to get a cursory look at a problem and a dissertation would be trying to take more of a granular view of things. At this point I am having a hard time differentiating the two and placing myself on that trajectory.

I have broken my research up into a couple of categories: facebook, sense of community, millennials and online communities. I think each of these categories will help give me a good handle on the existing research and a good starting point for me to take my research. I have found some valuable thoughts and ideas in what I have been reading and am looking forward to applying this to my research. The current reading has also lead me to find additional articles that I want to explore. At what point do I call it quits and feel comfortable moving forward? Or do you every feel comfortable and just have to draw the line at some point. I guess this is my cry for assistance and guidance as I feel like I am diving head first into a pool that I am not sure I am ready to swim in.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Julie - I felt much like you for a lot of the summer. I had many related topics I wanted to research and had mistakenly thought I could fit them all into one paper. Luckily, the wise guidance of Dr. Rickly helped me narrow down my field of research. Based upon your second paragraph, I would just pick one of your suggested categories and keep it simple. I smiled when I read "the current reading has also led me to find additional articles that I want to explore." The exact same thing happened to me. I finally threw my hands up and decided there was NO WAY I could read everything in just a couple of weeks, so I made a list of readings I'm interested in and decided I'll read them when I have time again.
I hope your research is going well!