Sunday, June 22, 2008

Comfort Levels

Think of the communities I am part of. How comfortable would I be if someone studied them? Why?

The type of community would determine the comfort level. When I was part of the the WebMD message boards I would have been uncomfortable with someone studying the site but as a member of a webboard for webmasters would not bother me at all. As I write this though I begin to wonder what they would study and whether that would bother me. I think the subject matter of the study could also make a difference. If the study was unobtrusive and nondamaging to myself or my career again it would be okay.

I think this is an important exercise to remember as I move through the research process. Without putting myself in the shoes of those I am researching I might find it easy to overlook their feelings. It looks like I have a new important step to include in the process.

No comments: